Prenatal massage is deeply healing and can help you better cope with the profound physical and emotional changes that are accruing for you. It includes range of motion, specific back and hip work, and gentle stretching. Support for leg cramps, edema and sinus congestion. Supports more oxygen for you and baby. Time and space for you and baby to relax. I do my work in three positions with generous pillowing in side-lying.
"Prenatal Massage promotes better function of muscles and joints and relieves aches and pains in the back, neck, hips and legs. It also improves circulation and overall body tone and decreases mental and physical fatigue.” -Carole Osborne Sheets-
Potential benefits of pregnancy massage
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Increases blood circulation for the mother, the placenta and the baby
- Decreases edema especially in the extremities
- Reduces musculoskeletal tension and pain associated with hormonal and postural changes.
- Helps with back pain, increases positive mood and promotes better sleep
- Reduces the risk of pregnancy complications including pre term labor
- Has a positive effect on labor and your wonderful new baby
- Reduces the incidence of postpartum depression, mostly in woman who have experienced depression during pregnancy
Becoming a mother is a big transition.You’re nurturing your baby now with your body and heart. It’s very important that you take care of your body so you can meet the beauty and demands of motherhood.
Postpartum massage is very helpful for faster recovery time after birth, emotional healing after birth and integrating the experience. The best modeling you can do for your child is to take care of yourself as you care of them. Babies are conscious aware beings. They may not have the brain understanding that we do as adults but they do feel if their mama or papa is stressed and this affects them. Massage is very relaxing and very stress relieving. Postpartum massage helps you slow down to the rhythm of motherhood. I have worked with many new moms over the years and getting massage after you give birth is a profound experience.
Potential Benefits of postpartum massage
- Reduces the natural pain and soreness from pregnancy and labor
- Supports postpartum emotional, physiological and family adjustments
- Assists in realignment of the spine and pelvis
- Assists in rehabilitation of the abdominal skin, muscles and organs
- Aids in recovery from vaginal and cesarean birth including the healing of incisions
- Lessens breast tenderness and pain related with lactation and breastfeeding
- Accelerates uterine involution
- Individual growth becoming more capable of love and pleasure
- Brings about less violent, more respectful cultures and families